Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrian online degree program- does one exist?

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 145
Floyd Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2010 3:47 PM

I'm going to be starting a degree in economics soon, and I was hoping that some of you might have recommendations as to which online only schools have the most Austrian (or at least free-market) curriculum. My wife is taking classes from Thomas Edison State College, and their economics classes are the normal statist, self-contradictory BS.

My fear is that there really isn't any, but if that's the case then oh, well. I've already got Human Action and MES w/PM, among many others, so I'll teach myself everything using LvMI if need be. TIA

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:04 PM

http://academy.mises.org/

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 145
Floyd replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:13 PM

If only they were accredited.... I'd be all over it! Not that I won't be, anyhow. I guess in order to earn my degree (even online) it's keynesian economics for me. Which sucks, since seeing as I've been studying from the Mises institute for the last three years, I have a better grasp of economics than any of my professors will have. I haven't found anything even remotely free-market as far as a degree program. I'd give my left arm to get a degree from the Mises institute........

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:30 PM

Why do you want it to be accredited?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 145
Floyd replied on Thu, Sep 30 2010 11:32 PM

So that I can have a degree, so that I can get a job.

Not Ranked
Posts 76
Points 1,575

National University has a minor in economics.

http://www.nu.edu/OurPrograms/SchoolOfBusinessAndManagement/AccountingAndFinance/Programs/481.html

It's not 100% Rothbardian Austrian.  However, 2 courses utilize Reisman's Capitalism, where he draws from the Classicals and the Austrians.  I think it is the closet thing to a Free Market Economics based online accredited degree program.  Perhaps there are others?

If you need a degree, that might be a good place.

But if you are looking to learn, IMHO, Mises Academy or just mises.org in general is a great place to do so.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 145
Floyd replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 1:03 PM

Thanks for the info! Obviously, I learn all my economics from mises.org, but unfortunately it's hard to get a job without a degree these days. I just want to minimize the bad economics that I have to suffer through while obtaining it! Thanks, again.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 5

I'm also looking into online degree programs in Economics and found this post from a year ago. Since then has anyone found any other options besides nu.edu, preferably something with a major in Economics instead of a minor? Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Floyd:
So that I can have a degree, so that I can get a job.

Exactly what job do you think an online degree in economics will land you?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,000

"...the normal statist, self-contradictory BS."

You should be getting taught positive economics, not normative economics. If your uni is teaching normative statements (about the state or otherwise), make a complaint to your head of faculty.

What "self-contradictory" BS? Specific examples?

"I have a better grasp of economics than any of my professors will have"

Haha. Sure you do. So why even bother getting a degree? Just apply for jobs with all the published academic papers and journal articles you've written!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:04 PM

Marginal Interest:
"I have a better grasp of economics than any of my professors will have"

Haha. Sure you do. So why even bother getting a degree? Just apply for jobs with all the published academic papers and journal articles you've written!

You're seriously asking why someone would bother getting a degree before applying for jobs...regardless of how well they know their subject?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 11
Points 235
Raian replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:47 PM

So you get a degree in Austrian economics. Then what? What career paths would be opened?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:21 PM

If you notice, I asked that question almost a month ago.  The only reason you saw this thread is because it was bumped by spam.  I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS