Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How do you respond to this,

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke Posted: Fri, Feb 4 2011 6:44 PM

How do you respond to this,

Someone says, let us remember that states exist in perpetual anarchy with respect to each other

"But, i thought you said anarchy was good. If states are always at war with each other and states exist in anarchy with respect to each other than wouldn't that mean that anarchy leads to war? "

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

States aren't always at war with each other?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Did you actually say that anarchy was "good"?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

In addition, there's a potential equivocation going on with the meaning of the word "anarchy". Does it apply to people, states, or both? Even in the latter case, though, a distinction can be made between anarchy for people and anarchy for states.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 7:36 PM

Obviously they aren't always at war with each other, but states are inherently violent entities by definition in any case, and human beings are not.  Apples and oranges.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

Technically states, with respect to each other, exist in a statelessness... it's not really anarchy (no rulers and all that).

It's clear that some states rule other states, de facto.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

States are not "always at war," and history suggests that states maintain amicable relations when they adopt liberal values (free trade and open communication) and agree to a uniformity in certain rules. But, obviously, states have the taxing power, conscription and ideological support to offset many of the costs of going to war. Those in the government don't suffer much directly from waging war; in many cases, they directly benefit from it. A "PDA" would presumably be unable to charge such high prices from its customers in order to wage war with other PDAs.

I also imagine "warfare" in such a world would be much different, without the conventions regarding nation v nation war and the horror of total war. There are many reasons to think that should PDAs engage in war, they would target the owners and managers, not the customers or even the grunts (except in defense). Again, having to directly bear the costs, quick and covert actions would be more appealing than traditional, large-scale war.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:18 AM

As far as I remember, I read this or similar argument in essay by Alfred G.Cuzan, if I am not mistaken. And it is actually pretty nice point. States do exist in anarchy. There is no grand ruler that rules over the states. There is no one government, that decide things.

Even the state's government is anarchic. There is no master politician, that decide things, they all work on their own. Sure, they have influence, accept bribes etc., but there is not King so to speak. Even president do not have such power.

Anyway, read for yourselves, I am terrible story teller http://mises.org/journals/jls/3_2/3_2_3.pdf

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390

Then anarchists are for the status quo?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:37 AM

I suppose I would respond by saying that states' existence in anarchy is fully and wholly dependent upon the use of violence, force and coercion (or the threat thereof) as a means of achieving its ends with the intent to rule the others should the opportunity present itself, whereas an individuals existence in anarchy, properly understood, is dependent upon mutually beneficial transactions and therefore lacking the mechanism to be able to rule over others even if the desire to do so did exist.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:38 AM

Guess I should have added that to me it appears to be the fallacy of a false dilemma.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:08 AM

MaikU, states aren't the same as people, right?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

I think i found the error in the language, it's simply a mischaracterization of our conclusion . What they should have derived is 

anarchy is more peaceful than governance (1)
We live in a state of governance (2)
governments live in a state of anarchy (3)
Government are more peaceful with respect to each other than with respect to those they govern

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 167
Points 2,395
Lyle replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 5:18 PM

Anarchy means social cooperation.  Statism means social competition.   Competition leads to war because it is zero-sum.  Cooperation leads to peace because it is positive-sum.  Greed first led us to trade then to steal.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 3:17 AM
Competition is not always zero-sum.

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 167
Points 2,395
Lyle replied on Sun, Feb 6 2011 3:23 PM

The market embraces both competition (vertically) and cooperation (horizontally).   The market is both zero-sum and positive-sum.  I get a job because I out competed someone else for the job (I win, another lost).  I get a job because I cooperate with someone else providing the job (I win, another wins).  When the aggressive force comes into play (ie. state), it promotes competition both vertically and horizontally.  Employers do not get to cooperate with employees but must employ who the state says they will (Employee wins, Employer loses). Employees do not get to compete fairly amongst themselves to cooperate with employers, but take jobs the states says they will take (Employee 1 loses, Employee 2 loses).  

So you are right:  Competition is not always zero-sum.  It can be negative-sum as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 850
Points 13,615

One of the more awesome insights isn't that the market process isn't a process of competition, but of widespread social cooperation. The element of competition in a market isn't as nearly as important as that fact. 

The state is not the enemy. The idea of the state is. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,295
mahall replied on Mon, Feb 7 2011 5:47 PM

I agree. This is why you see the phenomenom of supposedly cut throat competitive companies sharing manufacturing techniques and market strageties. Industry realizes cooperating even with their harshest competitors is positive-sum.

You can't hurry up good times by waiting for them.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Feb 7 2011 5:58 PM

Government are more peaceful with respect to each other than with respect to those they govern

This doesn't necessarily follow at all. Governments are inherently aggressive both internally and externally because they only very indirectly bear the costs of most of their aggression.

The point is not so much "anarchy" versus "archy" as it is peer legal standing. Governments (of roughly equal power and size) are legal peers with respect to one another. Businesses that exist under disparate monopolist jurisdictions also stand as legal peers with one another. This means that the legal arrangements between these peers must reflect the interests of both parties instead of only the interests of one party. That is, international relations are inherently bilateral (or multilateral) and, therefore, respectful whereas intranational relations are inherently unilateral and abusive.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Feb 7 2011 6:01 PM

One of the more awesome insights isn't that the market process isn't a process of competition, but of widespread social cooperation. The element of competition in a market isn't as nearly as important as that fact.

Yes, the market is the social phenomenon that emerges under conditions of non-exclusive or non-privileged production. Whether this production is inherently competitive or inherently cooperative is moot. What makes it different from non-market production is that it is non-exclusive (non-monopolistic).

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS