Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Porcfest converts conservative to anarcho-capitalism

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 Posted: Tue, Jun 28 2011 4:07 AM

http://bostonconservative.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/five-days-of-liberty-a-recap-of-porcfest-2011/

Ever wondered what it would be like if you lived in a world where there were no police, no laws, and no mandates from legislators? For the last five days I was in such an environment in Lancaster, New Hampshire. This event, called PorcFest, is a weeklong celebration of freedom, liberty, and a rebellion against crooked governments and statist legislation. This event is hosted each year by the Free State Project, a non-profit organization that seeks to create a libertarian community within New Hampshire, considered by many, including the prestigious Mercatus Center at George Mason University, to be the freest state in the country both economically and socially. The goal is to get 20,000 liberty activists to agree to move to New Hampshire to make it even freer than it already is. PorcFest is a yearly event that brings together people from around the world to join together under the cause of “liberty in our lifetime”, and also to be able to do the kinds of things that are illegal in their hometowns.

Being a citizen of Boston, I am sorry to say that I am used to the kinds of restrictions on things like gun rights and business freedom that would make non-Bostonians cringe, so when I arrived at the campsite, I was surprised at how far liberty could be pushed. Within minutes I encountered dozens of people carrying firearms in hip holsters, as well as vendors taking advantage of the laissez-faire spirit of the festival by selling items like pot brownies, moonshine, unlicensed massages, and even raffling off a bulletproof vest. Needless to say, I tried to indulge on as much of this as I could, knowing that a chance like this comes around only so often.

Here at PorcFest, everything was subject to free market competition, even the type of currency that was used. Just about every vendor accepted currencies other than dollars, such as silver, gold, copper, and even the new and somewhat controversial BitCoin. To help determine how much each metal was worth, some vendors helped customers out by displaying the conversion rates for each metal, as well as exchanging federal reserve notes (or as it’s known outside of PorcFest: dollars) for the hard metal currency, usually stamped with the insignia of whichever vendor was distributing the coins. Some experienced PorcFest visitors brought liberty dollars with them, knowing that they could be used to buy what they wanted. It was an interesting display of how an economy based on sound money and bartering would function, and although it was very small in scale, it was an effective system that nearly everybody participated in, and could be held up as an example in the ongoing feud over our nation’s monetary system.

The festival even had some big players in the growing liberty movement come by, such as talk-show host and libertarian activist Adam Kokesh (“Adam vs. The Man”), Canadian philosopher Stefan Molyneux, economist Dan D’Amico, and even a brief visit by Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson. Each of these members of the liberty movement either held conferences with festival attendees or broadcast their radio shows on Free Talk Live, the ultra-libertarian internet radio channel, which aired from the festival in front of a live audience. Each discussed the future of the liberty movement, as well as commending the Free State Project and PorcFest on bringing so many people together under one banner, as well as the occasional ripping on mainstream media and mainstream political thought.

I came to PorcFest knowing about its quasi-anarchic underpinnings, which unnerved me a bit, but after meeting some of the people and experiencing this kind of community for a few days, I gained a new appreciation for small government principles and the idea of personal responsibility. While I still have my doubts about the realistic nature of anarchy as a governing concept, PorcFest is a place where personal responsibility works as a means of accountability, and where decentralized currency can work in a free market economy. If you believe in the principles of small government, and letting personal accountability rule rather than rule of law, PorcFest is your kind of place, and it is well worth the trip up for a few days of almost complete liberty.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I gained a new appreciation for small government principles

How is that an anarchism?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

It's close enough. Minarchists are just anarchists who have a sad view of human nature.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

It's close enough. Minarchists are just anarchists who have a sad view of human nature.

So they entrust supposedly bad-natured humans with power? Quite illogical.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:32 AM

I'd say minarchists are walking contradictions. (no offense fellow minarchist :/)

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 494
Points 6,980

Minarchists still believe they can win the political game despite evidence to the contrary.

Anarchists just don't bother.  They have their own "lost" cause to pursue.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Minarchists still believe they can win the political game despite evidence to the contrary.

They claim w/o the state and a state constitution to "protect" everyone a new state will just arise.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 694
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:05 PM

and so what if one does?  How is that any reason not to try?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:59 PM

Joe:

and so what if one does?  How is that any reason not to try?

No reason. It has being "tried" all the time. The results are called mankind's history. Btw, not all states are the same. Ask Stalin. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I guess the minarchist argument makes sense in a way. If the state disappeared over night what would be preventing some power-hungry dude from bringing it back? What would stop fascists from establishing a fascist state esp. if the fascists have guns?

Sometimes I think anarchism is a bit too what iffy and want to resort to minarchism. But minarchism doesn't make sense either. I guess I'm a voluntaryist.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

What a crock of nonsense.  How the hell do you get the title of this thread from "I gained a new appreciation for small government principles and the idea of personal responsibility. While I still have my doubts about the realistic nature of anarchy as a governing concept...".

You seriously do hear whatever you want to hear don't you

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS