Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Fox News now propagandizing morality of marriage

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Fri, Sep 9 2011 5:34 PM

I knew Fox News was "conservative", and I knew Fox and Friends was always basically a joke, but now we're even propagandizing "morality"?  And the commentator they use to do it is a self-identified comedian?  This is just ridiculous.  Although the blonde's behavior was fun to watch.  And I know  the opening movie clip will ring true for a lot of people.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

lol what kind of people are being persuaded to change their minds about marriage over a Fox news segment anyway. 

My personal view of marriage is that its awesome. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

a) A single piece of propaganda is not supposed to change anyone's mind.  This whole strawmanning of not only the point, but the very core of what things actually are really gets old.

b) That's great you think marriage is awesome.  Your personal view has nothing to do with this segment.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 9 2011 7:27 PM

What isn't a myth is that divorce law in the US is indescribably bad.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975

To be fair, I think that it is a valid point that people should not decide against marriage based on popular cynicism or fake statistics.

That said, the overall vibe reminds me of a lot of the religious television like PTL Club and 700 Club.  Had no idea anything that bad was on Fox News quite yet.

The "... and puppies *eyebrow raise*" was too much.  That comedian is too edgy!  That's why you never see him in movies, comedy clubs, TV sitcoms, or anywhere else.  Surely.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

John Ess:
To be fair, I think that it is a valid point that people should not decide against marriage based on popular cynicism or fake statistics.

Meaning they probably shouldn't listen to him either.

That said, the overall vibe reminds me of a lot of the religious television like PTL Club and 700 Club.  Had no idea anything that bad was on Fox News quite yet.

Fox and Friends has always been pretty ridiculous, but yes they crossed a new line with this.  That's why I posted it.

The "... and puppies *eyebrow raise*" was too much.  That comedian is too edgy!  That's why you never see him in movies, comedy clubs, TV sitcoms, or anywhere else.  Surely.

You don't see him in movies and tv shows because he's a 23 year old small timer who has dedicated his efforts to politcal commentary on YouTube and conservative websites.  Just do a search for his name.  He only got on Fox News as a sometimes contributor after his youtube channel gained a lot of attention for his undercover video of Canada's healthcare system and Hannity had him on his show.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 3:53 PM

Sheesh.  Now I remember why I stopped watching TV.

Whoever he is, he looks like the most generic white guy I've ever seen.  Almost like a Def Comedy Jam impersonation of a white guy.   Wait, now that I think about it... maybe that's the joke?  He wasn't really serious and he was just a gag character... like Larry the Cable Guy?  Please say yes.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Have a look at his channel and you be the judge.  This is actually how he got all the gigs he has worked (making videos for conservative PJTV.com, and being a sometimes Fox News contributor)...If you go back to his first videos you'll see it's just a guy making youtube videos.  As he gained a following and got more views, and the videos got more attention, he found people willing to hire him.

His factual stuff isn't that bad actually.  That Canada health care video provided a lot of good info.  But as is the case with most conservatives, he ironically sounds more and more like the liberals he berates, once the subject gets outside of business and industry.

Have a look at one of his former colleagues:

Just so you're clear:

1) Libertarians do not believe the federal government should be making laws about drugs, because the authority is not granted in the Constitution. Therefore, libertarians are destroying the Constitution.

2) IF drugs were legal, there would be no need for the billions of dollars spent on drug law enforcement and the thousands of task forces and bureaucracies related to it...but this would "make for bigger government as more bureaucracies would sprout up."

3) IF drugs (a complete black market industry) were legal (thus, no longer forced to operate underground)..."the black market would thrive because they would target minors". (Because we all know minors aren't targeted by drug dealers now. And of course black markets are much bigger in legal products than illegal ones.)

4) "sex crimes are going down because consensual sex is going up." I would love to see proof of a causation with that correlation, but even still...this is a bad thing?

5) Liberals like sex because they are miserable and it sedates their misery. Got it.

6) The sky is huge, and therefore if it falls you wouldn't be able to detect it. Got it.

7) Personal expression is great...until Zo says you're not being "reasonable". Got it.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

The worst part about living in a socially conservative society is that you can't even get euthanasized if you're fed up. It's like a big, sick joke.

The sky is huge, and therefore if it falls you wouldn't be able to detect it. Got it

Lolol.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

NonAntiAnarchist:
The sky is huge, and therefore if it falls you wouldn't be able to detect it. Got it

Lolol.

No embellishment.  For anyone who couldn't make it all the way through that mess, jump to 5:34.  That's literally what he says.  Every one of those points is literally stated by the bald black man in the video.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 694
Points 11,400
Joe replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 1:39 AM

as an arachist I am against the government being involved in marraige, and as an athiest, I have no reason to get involved in any sort of religous marriage.  Not even sure if monogamy is such a great idea.  I am interested in the idea of polyamory, but haven't tried it in practice, nor have I read as much about it as I woud have liked.  I do think that a free market in marriage would benefit the institution greatly.  It would remove any stigma related to getting a prenup, because thats all a marriage would become, a private contract that both parties spell out and agree to beforehand.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 8:47 AM

I love the test that guy uses to judge ideas...

"If this didn't exist...  Would you invent it?"

You get to libertarian anarchism pretty quickly if you use that test. :p 

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 4:32 PM

I wonder who the video is for.  Conservatives to pat themselves on the back?  Or Libertarians to feel ashamed of themselves?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

John Ess:
Conservatives to pat themselves on the back?  Or Libertarians to feel ashamed of themselves?

Yes.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS