Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** February 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 202 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You gotta love the way she tries to paint playing by their rules as subverting the system in some way.

Doug Wead on The Rachel Maddow Show MSNBC 2/10/12

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You just can't help but smile at this...

You have to love the way they can't get away from all the signs, so their only option is to go split screen and show useless B roll for no reason.

Another great piece is when the husband of "the perfect face for radio" admits Ron Paul supporters "know all this stuff about the financial system and the regulatory environment and the Federal Reserve"...and even admits he didn't know any of it when he was in college himself (although he conveniently forgets to mention he still doesn't).

Ron Paul fans overwhelm CNN pundits at the Jacksonville, FL debate

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

John James:

Doug Wead on The Rachel Maddow Show MSNBC 2/10/12

[ view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x28_I9oIVg:640:385]

Yay! Activist delegates!

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:39 PM

This is why education from an early age is so important.  This is why eliminating the education monopoly has to be near or at the top of the list.  Listen to how easily this guy contradicts himself and has absolutely no problem with it.

Jan Helfeld interviews Crawford PART 1 Current TV commentator

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 4:49 PM

Watch this:

M83 'Midnight City' Official video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3k_QDnzHE

Chaos in Gotham City

Comment on Whitney Houston: Here's a question for proponents of the drug war: Does prohibition - which demonstrably fails to keep illegal drugs out of the hands of people who want them - simply make it that much harder for people like Houston to admit and seek problems for their problems? Everyone knows that it's no easy thing for addicts or problem users of anything to admit they need help. Does criminalizing the behavior on top of everything else make it that much harder to for such people to seek the help they need?

Deception at Duke

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:20 AM

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:50 AM

+1 Maiku! Nice find!

The only step he missed was to include the viewer in a "vote" along with his buddies on whether or not he should have the right to rob you. :-P Once the vote has been tallied, lo and behold, the viewer is in the minority. And by participating in the vote, the viewer himself has already consented to being robbed!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:59 PM

Well, I didn't find him, actually I am a long time follower of his channel (since I became aware that I am anarchist) but I decided to post one of the greatest so to speak, but personally, he is the most influential and best outspoken anarchist outhere. You should watch some other videos of his, but there are not very much of them. Still, I love reading his responses to the statists bashing him on his videos. :D

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:55 PM

This guy blew me out of the water, It'd probably be on here anyway soon, but he really just summed up a lot of what I believe in relation to the issues that they talked about really simply. I'll have to check out the book 

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:28 PM

Beat me to it.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:19 PM

Neodoxy:

This guy blew me out of the water, It'd probably be on here anyway soon, but he really just summed up a lot of what I believe in relation to the issues that they talked about really simply. I'll have to check out the book 

The book

I wasn't impressed by the essay that he pointed out as being the best (Johnson: "Markets Freed From Capitalism" pg. 59-82). Johnson kept saying how his argument is not merely about definitions (of capitalism), but I couldn't see anything beyond definitions. Also, no idea what he meant by "markets as free exchange, or markets as a cash nexus". 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:00 PM

President of the United States: I do what my wife (who, as an adult was never proud of her country until I started winning in the polls (which she reiterated a second time, just in case you thought it was a mistake) and my [clinically insane] runningmate tell me to do.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Neodoxy:

The book

I wasn't impressed by the essay that he pointed out as being the best (Johnson: "Markets Freed From Capitalism" pg. 59-82). Johnson kept saying how his argument is not merely about definitions (of capitalism), but I couldn't see anything beyond definitions. Also, no idea what he meant by "markets as free exchange, or markets as a cash nexus". 

So what does the book promote? How can free markets be non-capitalist?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 10:51 PM

"The book

I wasn't impressed by the essay that he pointed out as being the best (Johnson: "Markets Freed From Capitalism" pg. 59-82). Johnson kept saying how his argument is not merely about definitions (of capitalism), but I couldn't see anything beyond definitions. Also, no idea what he meant by "markets as free exchange, or markets as a cash nexus"."

Thanks for the link.

From a quick skim through of some essays it seems much more like an introduction to voluntaryist thought with some more communitarian style twists, rather than something that goes very in detail. Still, it looks like some of the essays could certainly be utilized to convince others and it would be great to someone new to libertarianism.

@Freedom4Me

As he says in the beginning of the video he simply is equating capitalism in this instance to the current system, he uses a different definition than Mises, Rothbard, and most of the people here, and instead is using much more of a "left-anarchist" connotation, and indeed the way that the term is usually used in context.

The book promotes free market, free enterprise, and free exchange, as well as a number of more "communitarian", that is voluntarily communistic and collectivistic, solutions to current issues. E.G he's like most of the people here, just with more of the collectivist and traditional anarchist tint to what he advocates (kinda like meee :D)

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:37 PM

Robert Wenzel says:

They Are Attacking My Buddy Krug

Businessweek reports on the war between Krugman and other phony economists. Writes Businessweek:

The escalating battle of ideas between the Nobel Prize-winning economist and his illustrious peers

What has been getting the Nobel Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist so riled up lately? In the last few weeks, what began as a semi-civil battle of ideas between “saltwater” Keynesians of Krugman’s persuasion and “freshwater” economists of the Chicago school has escalated into a two-way barrage of insults and name-calling.

In my book, saltwater economists and freshwater economists are both all wet. They don't understand how the economy works, have no clue as to when the economy will turn direction and have no clue about the dangerous price inflation that is developing. Koch brothers-financed Tyler Cowen should know better (and probably does), the others were probably born clueless.

But when it comes to these characters attacking my buddy Krug (who has made almost every forecasting error possible), I'll take Krug over these phonies any day. Krug is wrong, but at least he is entertaining. These other guys are wrong and boring.

Click on the chart for details on the infighting started by Krugman

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 11:55 PM

A no-nonsense take on Whitney Houston's death...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:04 AM

Haha, that chart is awesome.  This is when you realize being into economics makes you a nerd, when you laugh at something like Krugman saying "I've never gone ad hominem."  Only the few understand...

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:38 AM

From the Bastiat Institute FB page.  What I think I do actually is what I really do, and what I really do really is what I really do.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 3:40 PM

I found this and it sort of stung:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This one always gets me:

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:35 PM

Bert, you're man of the day :D borrowing that shit and postan on ma wall.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:40 PM

Soon after I posted that pic the LvMI FB page posted it...maybe someone from this forum...

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:52 PM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Didn't want to start a new thread...

So the Greeks are rioting because their government benefits are being cut.

It begs the question what they are trying to achieve. Do they think they can keep consuming twice as much stuff as they produce if only they convince their government to keep handing out free money?

Where exactly are those goodies going to come from, in a country where 11 million citizens live off 3.5 million taxpayers? Have they ever wondered whether it may be physical reality they are up against, and not sheer unwillingness by the state to hand out more goodies?

Whether it is Americans and their out-of-control public deficit or Greeks rioting for benefits that plain aren't there, at some point they all have to face the fact that money is just an allocation mechanism. Their problem isn't monetary, so the solution isn't monetary. The reason they are in debt is that they are consuming more stuff than they are producing. The only way to not be in debt is not to consume more stuff than they produce.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This was probably rhetorical, since you didn't want to create a thread, but...

EmperorNero:

So the Greeks are rioting because their government benefits are being cut.

It begs the question what they are trying to achieve. Do they think they can keep consuming twice as much stuff as they produce if only they convince their government to keep handing out free money?

Basically.

Where exactly are those goodies going to come from, in a country where 11 million citizens live off 3.5 million taxpayers? Have they ever wondered whether it may be physical reality they are up against, and not sheer unwillingness by the state to hand out more goodies?

Nope.

Whether it is Americans and their out-of-control public deficit or Greeks rioting for benefits that plain aren't there, at some point they all have to face the fact that money is just an allocation mechanism. Their problem isn't monetary, so the solution isn't monetary. The reason they are in debt is that they are consuming more stuff than they are producing. The only way to not be in debt is not to consume more stuff than they produce.

Yep.  The problem is as basic and simple as that concept is, people don't understand it.  A friend told me she was speaking to a co-worker who literally asked what all the debt talk was about..."the government can just print money" she said.

People use the dollars every day, they understand they have value, and that's about where the understanding stops.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 7:36 PM

"Where exactly are those goodies going to come from, in a country where 11 million citizens live off 3.5 million taxpayers? Have they ever wondered whether it may be physical reality they are up against, and not sheer unwillingness by the state to hand out more goodies?"

But what about democracy???

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 7:47 PM
Obviously, if the poor dont have enough, its because the rich have too much. Obviously.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:52 PM

Schiff's a lot less combative here; I can only figure it's because of the format and the environment.  I doubt I would be able to remain this jovial surrounded by such idiocy.  And that bald douchebag really gets on my nerves every time I see him.

What I love is clueless ignoramus on Schiff's left.  The best part is at 3:47 when he just gets through literally saying the finacial system is being "suffocated by liquidity".  They even put the quote up on the bottom of the screen.  So Schiff asks him what the Fed should do...and after a little jumping around and some silent word searching, he finally manages to blurt out: "I think that the Fed should continue to, you know, provide, you know, more amounts of liquidity..."

No joke.  They even put up the quote.  The ticker at the bottom of the screen literally changes from "Atwater: American financial system being suffocated by liquidity" to "Atwater: Fed should continue to provide liquidity."

This is the caliber of people on the news.  Not only that, this guy runs an actual business.  He (apparently) know something (what that is, I have no idea, but at least he evidently can keep a business afloat), and this is how clueless he is.  Now realize the vast majority of the time people are getting their news from financial reporters.  Like the bald guy.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

It's even worse than he describes, because paying attention in Econ 101 would not have helped. 

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:08 PM

Has cracked.com started being funny again?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So you may remember Praxgirl.  They could use some funding.  (And evidently a date)...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 11:09 PM
Schiff: but thats just inflation! Why should they do that?

bald guy: because no one else is doing anything!

Hahahahahahaa

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

A nice little piece on the false vindication of Keynesians:

Keynesians Jump the Gun on Inflation

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 10:43 PM

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Page 3 of 6 (203 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS