Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Thomas Jefferson--was he being intellectually dishonest or was there something else to it?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290
No2statism Posted: Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:44 AM

I was wondering what you thought.

I've heard "Thomas Jefferson lives... as Ron Paul", but Dr. Paul seldom does something he doesn't want to while Jefferson was different as President compared to how he was before.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Politics gets pretty complicated when you are given actual power.  Read Jefferson's letters after he leaves office.

It is one thing to claim things when one has no power, it is another to act on them when one does.-

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Which ones in particular?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Dude there are hundereds of them.

"The Executive Office" to A.L.C. Destutt de Tracy (26 January 1811)  -  He discusses why the U.S. decided on one supreme President  rather than a council.  He talks about comprimise among the pars of leadership; quorum pars fui.

"War with England" to Gen. T. Kosciusko (28 June 1812)  Discusses the relationships of the U.S., England, and France.

"Tyrants of the Land and Sea" to Madame de Stael (24 May 1813)  Discusses his perceived intentions of G. Britain.

"Debt, taxes, banks, and Paper" to J. W. Eppes (24 June 1813) [This one is awesome]  He talks about generational binding of contracts, the power of banks, their intentions, etc.  Also a solution for government debt instruments to be made payments for the state government instead of general money.  He talks about Greshamn's law and the effects of unlimited debt issuance.

There are tons more and it wouldn't hurt to read some of his letters from when he was President as well.

"Malthus and the New World" to J.B. Say (1 February, 1804) - Discusses Malthus and Say on agriculture and the division of labor as well as trade.

"Schism and majority leadership" to Barnabas Bidwell (5 july 1806)

"Lessons of the Burr Conspiracy" to Gov. W. C. C. Claiborne (3 February, 1807)

"The Burr Trial" to William Branch Giles (20 April 1807) - Jefferson makes it clear that he sees the Federalists as no different than Burr.  He complains that the courts treat federalists different than republicans, etc.

It might just be that when you sit at the helm of it all and see how f'd up it all is, anyone would try to intervene where they think they are right.  It is classic human nature.

I honestly, don't think Jefferson was nearly as bad as the others around him as far as abusing his power goes.  It would be difficult to see the treachery fo the European powers around your borders, have local governments yancy to invade those territories, and not decided to usurp a little bit of power that may or may not be defined in paper.  Despite what people say about him and France, he described their government while he was in office as "iniquitous."  His trade embargo was an ignorant and desperate move to avoid an actual war while he was in office, which was not even successful.

EDIT: I forgot one, but it is called [I should mention the titles are from the Library of America edition and are not from Jefferson], "Machiavellian benevolence and the Indians" - Where he talks about the competence of the Indians (he thinks highly of them) and the fine print in contracts (he wants their land and is scared they will not sell it).

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Thanks: ) I read the the Executive office and it seems like he was in fact not being intellectually dishonest.  After reading that it seems like he had a genuine change of opinion.  I'll read the others later:)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:47 PM

I was wondering what you thought.

I think Jefferson was a moral midget compared to Ron Paul. I think it may be useful to name dropp "Thomas Jefferson" for tactical purposes, but I don't have the impression he was terribly worthy of respect. I'm far from an expert, but I've heard enough bad things about him to make me think I'm probably right.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

"I've heard enough bad things about him to make me think I'm probably right."

Sigh.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
PatrickLee replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:36 AM

You can learn all you want about Thomas Jefferson by reading his blog! Several times each week, he posts briefly on a variety of topics. Recent posts were on George Washington, the metric system and the value of paying cash. Tomorrow's will be on economic "bubbles."

Read his blog at http://ThomasJeffersonLeadership.com/blog/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:42 AM

Thomas jefferson was a member of the Lunar Society and in his writings wrote that he believed in ETs.  in fact, it wasn't even a big deal...he just assumed other people lived out in the Universe.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 9:52 PM
limitgov:

Thomas jefferson was a member of the Lunar Society and in his writings wrote that he believed in ETs.  in fact, it wasn't even a big deal...he just assumed other people lived out in the Universe.

And this is remarkable? Who assumes otherwise?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:51 PM

Someone please kill this thread... we've gone from Thomas Jefferson to UFO's.

There is an inherent moral problem in being a ruler. If you are a ruler, you must do the things that are required of a ruler - you must execute the enemies of the State, you must secure the State against insurrection, foreign intrigue, you must apply strategic pressure (including the threat and use of war violence) against your neighbors and enemies in order to counter their strategic pressures against you. These kinds of actions are not optional, either - you will do them or you will be stabbed in the back, invaded, and so on. Any genuinely moral person who reaches power will be have to engage in immoral behavior on pain of death, revolution, invasion, etc.

That said, I'd rather have a genuinely moral person in power than an evil, sociopathic tyrant. Unfortunately, it may be the case that the human race's millenial love-affair with government can only be broken by being pushed to an orgiastic apocalypse by maniacal tyrants. Maybe then people will start to realize that government isn't abused, it is abuse.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:09 AM

"Someone please kill this thread... we've gone from Thomas Jefferson to UFO's."

I'm sorry...I couldn't resist.  I just watched an episode of Ancient Aliens that talked about the founding fathers.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS