Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Austrian Political Theory

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 86
Points 1,390
econ student Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2007 4:37 PM

I would like to read anyone's opinion on Hayek's Constitution of Liberty.  I am aware of Rothbard's critique in his Ethics of Liberty, but would like to find out what YOU think.  What are its strenghts and weaknesses? Overall, how would you rank this book in terms of importance to the Austrian School.  Of what I gather, it appears that Mises' Liberalism and Rothbard's EOL offer a more consistent Austrian approach. 

I have a few other questions, but will limit myself (for now) to Hayek.  Anyway, any comments will be appreciated!

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Hayek later revised most of his views in his Law, Legislation and Liberty. Hayek is an amazing thinker. Where he parts ways with Mises he is somewhat inferior, but as an economist and a social thinker in general he was an asset to the Austrian School sans doute. I have The Constitution of Liberty in my library, but haven't read it yet.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 86
Points 1,390

You're correct that Hayek shifted his stance on some issues when he wrote Law, Legislation, and Liberty.  According to Jesús Huerta de Soto, one can see this change "by comparing Hayek's more Scottish-oriented Constitution of Liberty with his Mediterranean-oriented series, Law, Legislation, and Liberty. In this series, Hayek freely quotes the scholastics on economics."

Here's the entire interview:

http://www.mises.org/journals/aen/aen17_2_1.asp

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS