Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Gold standard: physical problem

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 6,045
ivanfoofoo posted on Fri, Jul 31 2009 1:36 PM

I was wondering what would happen if the value of gold increases so much such as any good could be sold at a price which represents less that a molecule of gold. From that point on, supposing that productivity keeps increasing faster than the supply of money, more and more goods will start to be sold at non-gold values (a percentage of a gold molecule). How would people react? Would that allow to establish a double standard?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
768 Posts
Points 12,035
Suggested by DanielMuff

If it becomes too scarce, then it's value as money would naturally decline among all trading individuals. A new money would replace it. Be it silver or other easily divisible (and relatively stable) commodities.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
183 Posts
Points 3,245

If that were to happen, and I don't think it's a practical concern, there would be some crazy gold-mining going on

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Selgin has a paper on this, he says that when he was doing research on private minting in England he came across the situation in which there was a shortage of small change. Under a full-reserve system in which there is some precious metal as the base money it is quite possible that the metal in question will be too valuable in that, small change will be tiny or not valuable enough in which case the larger coins will be huge. Now, he notes there's a few ways out of this. Either you use token coins for the smaller amounts, but this leads to problems of forgery. Or you use two different metals, at which point greshams law kicks in.

OTOH, FRB solves this.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:
Or you use two different metals, at which point greshams law kicks in.

Hi Giles,

Doesn't Gresham's Law only kick in when an artificial fixed exchange ratio is imposed regarding the two metals?

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 6,045

I know, I've already posted something about Selgin's paper (http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/9618.aspx). I still don't find that much convincing, just as I think that FRB wouldn't be successful in practice. :(

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Lilburne, yes, it does. But if you imagine a banking system in which both gold and silver are used as media of exchange coins made up of these metals would presumably trade at their face value. Now, this is akin to an artificial exchange ratio.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 4:11 PM
GS:
Selgin has a paper on this, he says that when he was doing research on private minting in England he came across the situation in which there was a shortage of small change.
Oh my. Even Selgin himself pointed out that the shortage was caused by state intervention.
Under a full-reserve system in which there is some precious metal as the base money it is quite possible that the metal in question will be too valuable in that,
"quite possible" because Giles Stratton says so.
small change will be tiny or not valuable enough in which case the larger coins will be huge.
according to Giles Stratton and his crystal ball.
Now, he notes there's a few ways out of this.
Except the only sensible way. Remove state intervention and the problems caused by state intervention disappear.
OTOH, FRB solves this.
LOL. How clueless.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 4:16 PM
GS:
But if you imagine a banking system in which both gold and silver are used as media of exchange coins made up of these metals would presumably trade at their face value. Now, this is akin to an artificial exchange ratio.
What on earth do you mean ? The face value of gold or silver coins is just a weight. 1 ounce of gold trades for X ounces of silver. X is of course variable.

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Giles, if the face values represented "a certain weight of gold" vs. "a certain weight of silver", wouldn't those face values represent different denominations? As long as the exchange ratio between a given weight of gold and the same weight of silver was allowed to fluctuate in the market, there would be no overvalued money to drive out undervalued money (Gresham's Law in action), because all money units would be valued appropriately.  Outside of being forced to by law, people wouldn't value one "dollar" of gold the same as one "dollar" of silver, just because they bear the same name, unless the values of the two amounts of metal were actually the same on the market.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

Lilburne:

Doesn't Gresham's Law only kick in when an artificial fixed exchange ratio is imposed regarding the two metals?

That's how I've always understood it.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Lilburne, no matter if that is the case, if they exist two different media of exchange there will have to be some sort of exchange rate between them. Whether it be shops quoting their prices in one metal and offering some sort of exchange rate for the other (i.e. the LvMI sells books in gold and says you can pay in silver at a certain exchange rate). Perhaps this might not be a strict case of Greshams law (although, I believe it is) it certainly has affinities.

Perhaps the bigger, but related, problem is that of the unit of account. Presumably only one of the metals could serve as the unit of account, but in this case there would almost certainly have to be some sort of exchange rate that corporations use. In which case all the usual problems follow. Now, I don't think the seriousness of this problem can be decided a priori so I don't think I can comment. I know Selgin has and I'll give his piece a more thorough reading and get back to you.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:
Lilburne, no matter if that is the case, if they exist two different media of exchange there will have to be some sort of exchange rate between them. Whether it be shops quoting their prices in one metal and offering some sort of exchange rate for the other (i.e. the LvMI sells books in gold and says you can pay in silver at a certain exchange rate). Perhaps this might not be a strict case of Greshams law (although, I believe it is) it certainly has affinities.

no, as lilburne and david said, greshams law is only relevent when the exchange ratio is artificially fixed. 

GilesStratton:
but in this case there would almost certainly have to be some sort of exchange rate that corporations use. In which case all the usual problems follow.

free floating exchange rates cause problems? like the fact that the exchnage rate between apples and pears on the market is free floating ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, Jul 31 2009 5:58 PM
free floating exchange rates cause problems? like the fact that the exchnage rate between apples and pears on the market is free floating ?
Right. And we can't have that. But paper is going to fix that problem. Actually paper can fix any problem.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

nirgrahamUK:

As Lilburne has pointed out, money is on one side of every exchange, this is where the problem comes in. Look no matter what if there are to different media of exchange there has to be some sort of "artificial" exchange rate between the two.

Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS