Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

If objective morality doesnt exist, what justifies libertarianism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 210 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 6,595
nandnor Posted: Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:33 PM

If objective morality doesnt exist, what justifies libertarianism? Why go through the trouble to make the world better  and more libertarian instead of pragmatically making one's own life better and more comfortable, whatever its ideological implications be?

Why even acknowledge moral ideas for oneself instead of ignoring any kind and working from there? Letting go of the morals seems like letting go of a big burden to me.

• | Post Points: 170
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

Be sure that you're not confusing ontologically objective with epistemically objective.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:40 PM

What makes you think objective morality doesn't exist?

AnalyticalAnarchism.net - The Positive Political Economy of Anarchism

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 282
Points 6,595
nandnor replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:07 PM

Sage:

What makes you think objective morality doesn't exist?

I read through the natural law thread and no one seemed to manage to prove its existance. Most of the attempts to do so seem like linguistic  or logics tricks to me, like the argumentation ethics that was discussed there.

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/9828.aspx

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:25 PM

Objective morality does exist, but I wanna hear Bawa answer this question.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:26 PM

nandnor:

If objective morality doesnt exist, what justifies libertarianism? Why go through the trouble to make the world better  and more libertarian instead of pragmatically making one's own life better and more comfortable, whatever its ideological implications be?

Why would you want to make your own life better and more comfortable?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:36 PM

To answer your original question, it all depends on the individual. Self interest does not exclude acts of kindness or sticking to rules, and neither does utility maximization. There is a physiological basis for empathy, and only a particularly naive ethical skeptic would jump to the conclusion that autonomy and respect of the individual doesn't matter. It may be that the psychological and emotional benefit of respecting others and the common delineation of property outweighs the benefit of possessing desired material goods. It may be mutual respect and cooperation that brings the most happiness, and one would be acting in his self-interest to abide by the NAP.

Or, it may not. Hence why it is up to the individual to decide.

“Elections are Futures Markets in Stolen Property.” - H. L. Mencken

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

nandnor:

Why even acknowledge moral ideas for oneself instead of ignoring any kind and working from there? Letting go of the morals seems like letting go of a big burden to me.

Don't forget epistemological arguments for libertarianism a la Anthony de Jasay and Nassim Taleb.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:03 PM

Solid_Choke:

nandnor:

Don't forget epistemological arguments for libertarianism a la Anthony de Jasay and Nassim Taleb.

Epistemological arguments for libertarianism are precisely the ones that have been so heavily debated on this forum, as ontological arguments for morality rely on a non-secular worldview (which is fine, but unpersuasive).

I doubt he has "forgotten" about these arguments, considering the two threads he mentions having read consist of them.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

zefreak:

Solid_Choke:

nandnor:

Epistemological arguments for libertarianism are precisely the ones that have been so heavily debated on this forum, as ontological arguments for morality rely on a non-secular worldview (which is fine, but unpersuasive).

I doubt he has "forgotten" about these arguments, considering the two threads he mentions having read consist of them.

Would you be so kind as to provide links to these discussions? The Natural Rights and Argumentation Ethics threads (the two threads the original poster mentioned) contain very little discussion of epistemological arguments for libertarianism. Thanks in advance.

P.S. By Epistemological Argument for Libertarianism I mean an argument that contains ONLY epistemological premises.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:32 PM

Marko:

nandnor:

Cause it is better? And he likes comfort?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

scineram:

Marko:

nandnor:

Why is it better? Why should he do what he likes? Why shouldn't he kill himself or light the world on fire, instead of doing what he likes? Why should he do anything at all?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:41 PM

What is the point of these questions?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Points 2,185
teuch replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:43 PM

nandnor:

Would you want to make your own life better and more comfortable, but at the expense of others?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:43 PM

The natural rights thread directly below this one (with Zavoi and AJ) deals with epistemological arguments for and against natural rights. Read Zavoi's latest few posts for an example.

Argumentation ethics is an epistemological argument for libertarianism! It is based on the (flawed) notion that the act of arguing is essentially a synthetic apriori from which libertarian ethics can be deduced.

edit: just saw your edit. There was a thread not too long ago (don't know if nandnor read it) between nirgrahamUK and myself regarding Anthony de Jasay which sort of died because I lost interest. I will be into a discussion, critiquing and posting until work, after which I will be too tired and the conversation will have changed too much to get into it again. If you are interested, I can find the thread. After being introduced to his arguments, I argue that a consistent application of Jasay's reasoning is more of a justification of moral subjectivism than the NAP and homesteading.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 5:48 PM

Solid_Choke:

scineram:

Marko:

nandnor:

Why is it better? Why should he do what he likes? Why shouldn't he kill himself or light the world on fire, instead of doing what he likes? Why should he do anything at all?

It's better to him. Doing what he wants satisfies him by definition. You are asking the wrong questions: he doesn't have an obligation to satisfy his wants, nor does he have an obligation to avoid such satisfaction. It's not good or bad in the ethical sense, but its 'good' for him in the colloquial sense.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

zefreak:

It is based on the (flawed) notion that the act of arguing is essentially a synthetic apriori from which libertarian ethics can be deduced.

You always make these ad hoc statements.  I have never read anything of yours that actually explains with certainity why anything is flawed.  I say anything meaning I'm not only talking about this particular discussion, but go on and discuss this particular "flaw".  I've been waiting.

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 796
Points 14,585

scineram:

What is the point of these questions?

To show that those who accept ethical subjectivism don't actually escape the problems of ethical objectivism like they think they do.

zefreak:

The natural rights thread directly below this one (with Zavoi and AJ) deals with epistemological arguments for and against natural rights. Read Zavoi's latest few posts for an example.

Argumentation ethics is an epistemological argument for libertarianism! It is based on the (flawed) notion that the act of arguing is essentially a synthetic apriori from which libertarian ethics can be deduced.

edit: just saw your edit. There was a thread not too long ago (don't know if nandnor read it) between nirgrahamUK and myself regarding Anthony de Jasay which sort of died because I lost interest. I will be into a discussion, critiquing and posting until work, after which I will be too tired and the conversation will have changed too much to get into it again. If you are interested, I can find the thread. After being introduced to his arguments, I argue that a consistent application of Jasay's reasoning is more of a justification of moral subjectivism than the NAP and homesteading.

Arguments using epistemological premises AND ethical premises ARE NOT epistemological arguments (in the way that I stipulated it). Also, I didn't say that application of Jasay's reasoning leads one to accept the NAP. Instead it shows that statists (and anyone who would restrict liberty) aren't in a position to know what they must know in order for their arguments to pull their own weight. They literally require what is unthinkable in order to justify statism. Of course they could reject any attempt to justify statism altogether and simply do it whether they have a reason or not and the epistemological arguments for libertarianism would have nothing to say about it. You must look beyond epistemology to justify getting up in the morning, but epistemological arguments tear the hell out of statism while basically leaving libertarianism relatively untouched.

zefreak:

It's better to him. Doing what he wants satisfies him by definition. You are asking the wrong questions: he doesn't have an obligation to satisfy his wants, nor does he have an obligation to avoid such satisfaction. It's not good or bad in the ethical sense, but its 'good' for him in the colloquial sense.

My questions were rhetorical. See the response to scineram in this post.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:03 PM

scineram:

Marko:

nandnor:

It is not better. There is no "better" in a world without objectivity. It is just a preference. But then everything else is also a preference and therefore equivalent. So why presume that the "instead" instead of striving for libertarianism must be making your life more comfortable? Why not have the "instead" be tortuting yourself and inflicting bodily harm onto yourself? 

Or why not have the "instead" instead of striving for libertarianism be striving for libertarianism?! What does it matter? Where everything is a preference you can not make a case for striving for X over striving for Y, therefore you can not based on this make a case for striving for X over striving for a libertarian world as the OP attempted.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Solid_Choke:

To show that those who accept ethical subjectivism don't actually escape the problems of ethical objectivism like they think they do.

I like this so far.  Provide the "problems" neither escape from.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:22 PM

wilderness:

zefreak:

It is based on the (flawed) notion that the act of arguing is essentially a synthetic apriori from which libertarian ethics can be deduced.

You always make these ad hoc statements.  I have never read anything of yours that actually explains with certainity why anything is flawed.  I say anything meaning I'm not only talking about this particular discussion, but go on and discuss this particular "flaw".  I've been waiting.

I've given it. I made my argument in other threads. I'm not going to remake my argument every time it is relevant.. I can just allude to it and if someone is not familiar they can ask me.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

I'm not surprised by your response.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:26 PM

Solid_Choke:

Arguments using epistemological premises AND ethical premises ARE NOT epistemological arguments (in the way that I stipulated it). Also, I didn't say that application of Jasay's reasoning leads one to accept the NAP. Instead it shows that statists (and anyone who would restrict liberty) aren't in a position to know what they must know in order for their arguments to pull their own weight. They literally require what is unthinkable in order to justify statism. Of course they could reject any attempt to justify statism altogether and simply do it whether they have a reason or not and the epistemological arguments for libertarianism would have nothing to say about it. You must look beyond epistemology to justify getting up in the morning, but epistemological arguments tear the hell out of statism while basically leaving libertarianism relatively untouched.

I agree with this, although I think epistemological arguments do much more than leave libertarianism 'relatively untouched'. It destroys a central tenant of libertarianism, the NAP.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 712
Points 13,830
zefreak replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:27 PM

wilderness:

I'm not surprised by your response.

You shouldn't be. It is pretty standard behavior in any discussion. Do you explain Rothbard's attempted logical proof of the NAP every time you mention it?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

you can find Rothbard's explanation, but I've never found yours.

good night

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

zefreak:

Solid_Choke:

I agree with this, although I think epistemological arguments do much more than leave libertarianism 'relatively untouched'. It destroys a central tenant of libertarianism, the NAP.

Why? Stuff like this is why I usually don't bother with these 10+ page threads on natural rights. Also, why do you say "a central [tenet]" rather than "the central tenet", as if there is something else?

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

Marko:

scineram:

Marko:

nandnor:

It is not better. There is no "better" in a world without objectivity. It is just a preference. But then everything else is also a preference and therefore equivalent. So why presume that the "instead" instead of striving for libertarianism must be making your life more comfortable? Why not have the "instead" be tortuting yourself and inflicting bodily harm onto yourself? 

Or why not have the "instead" instead of striving for libertarianism be striving for libertarianism?! What does it matter? Where everything is a preference you can not make a case for striving for X over striving for Y, therefore you can not based on this make a case for striving for X over striving for a libertarian world as the OP attempted.

That's why its called SUBJECTIVE VALUE THEORY. Each individual has their own preferences, and then you go from there. Want objective value? What is the value of any given chair? Hmm? There are no objective values in the social sciences. Think about it.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 6:40 PM

Telpeurion:
That's why its called SUBJECTIVE VALUE THEORY. Each individual has their own preferences, and then you go from there. Want objective value? What is the value of any given chair? Hmm? There are no objective values in the social sciences. Think about it.

Ahhh... haha

"You are conflating the Austrian subjective theory of value and a rational, objective ethics. Rothbard, in The Ethics of Liberty, makes the case that an objectivist ethics is possible. This is political philosophy, not economics."

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 370
Points 8,785

Conza88:

Telpeurion:

Ahhh... haha

"You are conflating the Austrian subjective theory of value and a rational, objective ethics. Rothbard, in The Ethics of Liberty, makes the case that an objectivist ethics is possible. This is political philosophy, not economics."

You can say there is some all pervasive moral force in the universe all you want, it doesn't make it true. "Good" and "Bad" are all subjective. It has everything to do with economics and praxeology.

This is apparently a Man Talk Forum:  No Women Allowed!

Telpeurion's Disliked Person of the Week: David Kramer

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Argumentation is a specie of human action.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:06 PM

Telpeurion:

You're assuming that explanatory value subjectivism (explanation in terms of the actor's values) entails normative value subjectivism (the view that there are no objective values). Economics requires at least EVS, but it's not at all obvious that the latter follows from the former. See this for discussion.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 752
Points 16,735
Sage replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:26 PM

Solid_Choke:

Long argues here that since normative terms involve endorsement,  using normative terms commits us to regarding goodness, wrongness, etc. as genuine properties. He then draws on Wittgenstein's arguments on pain to show that these properties have the status of objective, conceptual truths. Hence using normative terms commits us to ethical objectivism.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:27 PM

nandnor:
If objective morality doesnt exist, what justifies libertarianism?

Individual preference.

nandnor:
Why go through the trouble to make the world better  and more libertarian instead of pragmatically making one's own life better and more comfortable, whatever its ideological implications be?

Because I can't experience the fruits of the free market until one exists.

nandnor:

Maybe its not that easy to just "let go" of your conscience. I know I can't "let go" of my other subjective preferences, why would that be any different.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

EDIT: Never mind what I wrote here earlier.  I thought scineram was responding to the OP.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

nandnor:

I don't think a person with a normal conscience who deeply understands Austrian economics (especially the workings of a society based on the division of labor and private ownership of the means of production) can help but be a libertarian.

This is why, even though I cannot accept objective ethics without lying to myself, libertarianism is the only justifiable position for me.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:25 PM

Lilburne:
I don't think a person with a normal conscience who deeply understands Austrian economics (especially the workings of a society based on the division of labor and private ownership of the means of production) can help but be a libertarian.
Yes.

Lilburne:
This is why, even though I cannot accept objective ethics without lying to myself, libertarianism is the only justifiable position for me.
YesYesYes

Banned
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:30 PM

The answer to this question is ultimately, nothing. If objective morality doesn't exist, then nothing justifies libertarianism. It's not 'better' than any other ideology.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

to get to the value root of this that I think is better - is - liberty is better than tyranny.

Esuric I could be off-topic from what you are trying to say, but I took that last sentence of yours from a vaccum and projected into it.  I'm not necessarily arguing against you.  I know I am arguing with you.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:41 PM

wilderness:
to get to the root of this the values that I think are deeper are better.  liberty is better than tyranny.

Are you taking some kind of utilitarian position, where liberty leads to 'greater net utility'? That position may or may not justify coercion in particular circumstances, but the real question is: why shouldn't you be a tyrant? It seems that the best approach would be strategical hedonism. Kill, steal and plunder whenever you can get away with it.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

Esuric:

wilderness:
to get to the root of this the values that I think are deeper are better.  liberty is better than tyranny.

Are you taking some kind of utilitarian position, where liberty makes more people happier then tyranny?

I am simply saying liberty is better than tyranny.  Don't you agree?  I think sometimes it's over-complicated.  The issue.  Liberty is better.  I like it.  It is good.  I don't want to live in tyranny.  etc, etc...

Esuric:

That may or may not be so, and it leads to all kinds of other problems, but the real question is: why shouldn't you be a tyrant? It seems that the best approach would be strategical hedonism. Kill, steal and plunder whenever you can get away with it.

Argue that position, but I don't know why you would suddenly want to.  I haven't seen you argue that way as of yet.  Why the sudden change of mind?

Page 1 of 6 (211 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS