Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Long's Theory of Logic and Praxeology

    Recently I've been reading Long's Praxeological Investigations: Wittgenstein, Austrian Economics, and the Logic of Action . It's quite interesting, and dovetails with a lot of my thoughts on Wittgenstein, and also points out paralells between Mises, Wittgenstein. Frege and Husserl tha I hadn't...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vichy Army on Sat, May 1 2010
  • Gordon and Logical Positivism

    In his essay The Philosophical Origins of Austrian Economics , David Gordon describes how Austrian economics arose in opposition to the German Historical School and then had to counter the logical positivism of the Vienna Circle. Gordon believes that the influence of logical positivism prevents most...
    Posted to General (Forum) by Modus Tollens on Mon, Mar 8 2010
  • Cartoon that depicts evils of government in free market

    The catch is the cartoon is 50 years old and very accuractly illustrates/predicts the inevitable an obvious consequences we have to face today. http://ow.ly/6tuN
    Posted to History (Forum) by jcondomina on Tue, May 12 2009
  • Re: Is Ron Paul a racist?

    [quote user="GilesStratton"]Racism is a natural and rational part of the human condition. Even those that denounce it probably only come into contact with blacks when they're looking to buy some drugs.[/quote] LOL, "Racism" is kind of self-preservationist. I think we should do...
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Torsten on Mon, Apr 13 2009
  • The economic brilliance of the New York times.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/weekinreview/21uchitelle.html Read the article, and let me know what you think.
    Posted to History (Forum) by Brad on Sun, Dec 21 2008
  • Praxeology in a formal system...

    This has been brought up before , but that topic died, and I think bumping it would result in limited interest. My basic proposition is the same: that praxeology could potentially be formalised in some way. I'm not an expert logician, but I can see that the action axiom could be stated in first-order...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by britainland on Sun, Sep 28 2008
  • Welfare and minimum wage defeated

    Let me know if someone has already made this argument. Premise (A): It is better (economically and ethically) for someone to work at a given wage, than not to work. For example, if welfare is the equivelent of making, say, $5/h @ 40h/week, it is economically better for a person to work for the same wage...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Trianglechoke7 on Fri, Aug 29 2008
  • Did Aristotle Pioneer Multi-valued Logic?

    Max Black, in an essay criticizing general semantics, credits Aristotle with "pioneering modern discoveries in multivalued logics" (Ref. Max Black, Language and Philosophy , Cornell University Press 1949, p228-229). Can anyone direct me to passages in Aristotle's writings that substantiate...
    Posted to History (Forum) by jpg on Sun, Jul 13 2008
  • Kantian vs. Aristotleian Approaches of Reasoning

    Which do you find yourself supporting/utilizing? Or do they both add to the Austrian Economics. Does one method have distinct advantages over the other? I really cannot claim either approach as my own, my background is from an empirical/positivist approach (which Austrian rarely, if ever utilize). The...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ViennaSausage on Wed, Jun 18 2008
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2