Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Best Fiction (Books or Movies) With a Theme of Freedom

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210
BrianAnderson Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:27 PM

I feel like this could end up being a fun post. I still haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I've heard from everyone that it's a great book and promotes the free market.

What are some other good books and movies that support the idea of a free society. Only fiction, please. However, if you know of a fictional book/movie based on real events (something like Downfall - first thing I could think of), I'd like that too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 4,500

Vernor Vinge books and essays: "The Ungoverned", "True Names", "The Peddler and the Apprentice", "A Fire Upon the Deep", and more!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

I remember hearing about A Fire Upon the Deep. Which is your personal favorite out of that list?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 4,500

Well "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky" are the best stories; and both have libertarian over-tones.  "True Names" is what put Vinge on the map as one of the better Sci-fi writers (he was way ahead of his time with regard to the internet, virtual world, and cryptography)--it also has a very  libertarian theme.  "The Ungoverned" is a full-out anarcho-capitalist scenario in which a state attacks an ungoverned society and comes up against individuals --some with private defense agencies and some with nuclear capability.  Some of the other books and essays--"The Peddler and the Apprentice", "Marooned in Realtime", and "The Peace War" are also explicitly libertarian and the stories are quite good; just not as good as the first two.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 1:30 PM

What are some other good books and movies that support the idea of a free society. Only fiction, please. However, if you know of a fictional book/movie based on real events (something like Downfall - first thing I could think of), I'd like that too.

Withur We is definitely the greatest libertarian book of all time... and I'm not at all biased, keep in mind.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 1:32 PM

Well "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky" are the best stories

Interesting, because I am just now reading A Fire Upon the Deep.  It is pretty decent, but I don't love it... Heinlein wrote better, and Dune I think is way above F.U.D., in my opinion.  But it is good.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

and I'm not at all biased, keep in mind.

I have to make sure to read your book one day when I have time.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 5:53 PM

See this topic as well: http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/16738.aspx

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 1:17 PM

Brian Anderson:
I have to make sure to read your book one day when I have time.

I'd be thrilled!

There is a free download on the website in case you want to test drive it first.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

I'm watching The Running Man, movie based on a Stephen King novel. It's about the year 2017, and seems an incredibly accurate portrayal of the worst case scenario we will have then.

King seems to be very libertarian in all his works.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

V for vendetta....

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS